I can't believe it's August

I think the title of this post says it all - I cannot believe it is already August!  Where did the summer go? I know where the summer went - I went back to work.  I wanted to find a job that would be flexible and still allow me to do cool lawyering things.  I found it.  As many of you know, I joined a law school classmate's of mine's firm. Since I joined, we have expanded exponentially, taken on 3 new staff members and continually break our own weekly records with the number of clients retaining us.  I thought at first this job would be part time, but it is turning into more of a full time gig.  This is cool and amazing professionally because I am building something and "leaning in", but it lends itself to less time to blog and less time with Jack.

We have not traveled like we did last summer (see going back to work above), so we have been trying to take as many opportunities to enjoy our community and explore our neighborhood from Jack's viewpoint.  We love Bloomingdale.  It is is like a small town within a big city.  During the day, Jack has been hanging out with our un-exhaustable nanny, Matthew.  One of the perks of working at home is that I try to stop working after Jack wakes up from his nap and hang out with him and Skylos for a bit. This is us and our family, just trying to take in each moment, enjoying the time we have together.

Every day after Jack wakes up from his nap we take Skylos for a walk.  I have to say, it can be hard to walk both of them - one always wants to go the opposite way the other wants to travel.  This requires some creative maneuvering...


On our walks, we explore the neighborhood from Jack's viewpoint.  And what could be better than staring at the super cool mural at the end of our block while zooming a car and wearing Superman pajamas!


Also, going back to work means less home cooked meals. I think Jack is ok with this as long as the meals out include dates with Mommy at our local pizza place - Yes, Cheese Pizza!


And of course, there is lots of 'mommy guilt'.  I'm not spending the time I was with Jack, he hangs out during the day with our nanny, we bought him an iPad to entertain him...  these are all things I think about.  One thing about 'mommy guilt' is that when Jack particularly wants something, I am way more likely to cave in and buy it.  Case in point, Grassroots Gourmet, our local bakery (yes we have a local bakery for all of your cookie and pie needs).

Jack loves their cookies.  Actually, that is an understatement, he LOVES their cookies.  We cannot walk buy without a request for the chocolate chip cookies. They know us by name.  Look at the smiles on this kid's face when we go in to buy him a cookie.


Wouldn't you buy him as many cookies as he wanted when you know he will be so sincerely joyful over the prospect of eating this cookie.  And the cookies are good.  It's hard for me not to buy cookies there, too.

The summer is flying by and Jack is getting older.  We are just trying to keep going, doing what we do.  And you think Jack doesn't notice, because he is two and he is way more obsessed with cheese pizza and observant of his cars than he is of anything else.

But then there are those heart breaking moments, where Jack decides to name two of his cars "the mommy and daddy cars" because we bought them for him at the beach, and they always have to drive together and be played with together.  And the mommy guilt comes out because I think maybe I'm not playing with him enough if he has to name a car after me.  But I see his face, and what an amazing little boy he is growing up into, and I realize we are doing good.  We are doing good.


Comments