Birthday Letter to Jack - Turning 2!

Dear Jack,

This is my second birthday letter to you.  Second because you are turning two tomorrow!  I can't believe it.  So much happened this year, that it takes me a second to really grasp all of the changes that occurred.


Jack can walk!!
Jack with his Daddy, just a few hours old.





















As a short recap this year you learned to walk and talk, we sold the condo and moved to a house, we traveled a lot and you started school.  Oh yeah, and now you are potty training.  That's a lot for a grown person to take in, yet for a little guy, half of your life has been in constant motion and change.

Since your last birthday, you visited the following places, sometimes even more than once:  Las Vegas, Paris, Detroit, Ann Arbor (Go Blue!), Chicago, New York, San Diego, North Carolina, Miami and Disney World!  That's in addition to all of our adventures around DC that we take on a daily basis.    Your favorite book for a few months was "Corduroy", I can't say I'm upset that I do not have to read you that story 5-6 times a day.  You also became obsessed with playing with cars.  You are always very busy.

Mike and Jack in New York
Maria and Jack at the Lourve in Paris


Paris
Mike and Jack at the Jardin de Touleries





























Eiffel Tower shot! 

You have blonde curly hair right now.  How did I have a blonde hair kid?  I don't know how long it will last, but it is probably the reason on the playground people have asked if I am your nanny.

Jack "helping" make black bean brownies (I swear they are good!)

You have an incredibly mischievous smile and get into all sorts of predicaments, which our poor good boy, Skylos, seems to always be at the center of.  Sky loves you very much.  He more than just tolerates your existence now, but runs into your room to wake you up from a nap when he wants to play and plays chase with you for hours.






Something I know we will look back upon and laugh is that you have become a very picky eater, favoring things with processed cheese, nutri grain bars and fig netwons, and of course french fries.  I hope one day you are a gourmand with a wide and experimental palate and I can tease you about how you used to only eat American cheese.

 You are an amazing and kind person.  You do not like to see others hurt or sad.  You quickly tell people you love them "sooo much".  And even when I have not seen you in fifteen minutes you cover my face with kisses.  You also love to STRIKE A POSE!  That love for Beyonce, Lady Gaga and Madonna has been unwavering since you were born.


I cannot say enough how proud I am of you.  You are growing up into a fine young man, who laughs easily, is passionate about the people, dogs and things he cares about, and is very opinionated.  I know I said this last year, while I can't wait to see what happens next and where your imagination takes you, I equally want to stay in this moment forever, with you just the way you are right now.

Jack was unclear why he was dragged to a Mother's Day brunch, during nap time where he was required to wear a tie.  It was so we had a picture like this for years to come.
The other day when I picked you up from school, you demanded that you needed to drive and that you also needed my phone.  I joked to myself as we pulled away that you did not think you were turning two on Friday, but sixteen!  I then reminded myself that we all need to slow down and just enjoy the time we have together at this moment, because it does not last forever.  You will be sixteen before I know it and you probably won't let me hold your hand, tuck you in at night or cover my face with kisses, though you may still love Beyonce.  So I intend to enjoy every moment of you being two, even those where you are screaming and covered in your own poop.  Though, truthfully, I may have to enjoy those moments a couple hours later after you have gone to bed while I have a glass of wine.




 I will love you forever.  I will like you for always.  As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.

Love,
Mom





Comments