A birthday letter to Jack





Dear Jack,

I'm sure you do not remember this, but a year ago today my water broke on the metro (think about that the next time you sit down on the redline).  Good thing I was on the way to the doctor's office!  Once we got some contractions kick started, a mere 14 hours later you were born.  A year ago today was the last day your dad and I were just "Mike and Maria".  By 1am the following morning we were "Jack's parents", and we couldn't be happier.

It has been such a joy to watch you grow up this past year.  You morphed from a scrunched up bobble-head infant to a mischievous and inquisitive little boy.  I feel even more fortunate that I am now able to take a hiatus from work and hang out with you on a daily basis.  Every day I get to see something new, and I am so glad that I put my hesitations about putting my legal career on hold for a short bit behind me so that I can spend this time with you.  I know your Dad is jealous of the time we get to spend together, but someone has to make the money to send you to preschool and put food on the table (thanks for taking one for the team, Mike!).

It goes without saying that you and I have been through a lot this past year.  We did the whole breastfeeding thing, we spent countless nights awake together (even when I had an early morning at the office), we've cried together and laughed together, and we've even taken cross-country flights together.  I cannot wait to experience our future adventures, while simultaneously not wanting this moment with you just like you are right now to end.

You are an amazing little boy!  You constantly surprise me with your abilities and your thirst to learn and experience new things.  You already are opinionated (coming from Mike and me, that's not a surprise), and communicate those opinions very deliberately and expressively.  You prefer playing with balls and blocks to electronic learning toys.  You love American cheese and cheddar crackers like Goldfish and Cheddar bunnies.  You also love our dog Skylos, and he tolerates your existence because of your love for cheese and your discovery of gravity and how it relates to food I give you.  You have no patience left for the bottle unless you are going to sleep.  You love to dance to Motown, Lady Gaga and Beyonce.  Your favorite song to sing is "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt". And you would rather we practice walking around the house than play anything else!

We've used this blog as your baby book, an electronic keepsake that we can use one day to embarrass you.  It also had the benefit of providing your grandparents and aunts and uncles who you do not see you on a frequent basis an almost daily account of your life.

Looking back on the pictures of you, I see how much you've grown.  I cannot even imagine what the next year will bring, but I'm sure it will be full of many surprises.

Happy Birthday!  I love you very much.
-Mom

It may be your birthday, but you still cannot have the beer.

Comments

  1. I don't know why I decided to read this while I was at work......now I am all teary at my desk.(I am becoming a cry baby in my old age.)

    This letter is too sweet and I love that Jack will be able to look back on this as he gets older. It was great to see you and Jack the other week. I hope you guys are doing well. Give Jack a kiss for me and tell Mike I say hi! :-)

    Christie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment